Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The National Science Digital Library

Ever get stuck trying to explain a science concept to your 12 year-old? I do, all the time, but now I've discovered The National Science Digital Library. Funded by the National Science Foundation, the National Science Digital Library (NSDL) provides organized access to high-quality Web sites and digital resources in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Advanced searches can be fine-tuned by grade level, subject, and format (e.g. audio, video, interactive, text). Resources are available for students preK through college. Professional and research collections are also available.

Why is NSDL better than google? Well, when NSDL identifies an online resource, you don't have to worry about whether the science is accurate. Also, none of the web sites are .coms, which means that you won't have to pay to use a resource. NSDL enables you to do a more targeted search, so you won't have to wade through pages and pages of irrelevant hits. And you don't have to worry about accidentally stumbling on inappropriate content.

1 comment:

T.S. said...

NSDL is new to me . . . Thank you! It's a really great site! I'm always looking for good stuff to put on my educational blog (www.worldstaracademy.com). I get very tired of 'educational' sites that are so loaded with advertisements I can't even focus, much less expect my 8 hear old (with ADHD and visual processing disorders) to handle it! Anyway, thanks again! You've got a great blog!