Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Shmoop

Here's another great online resource for home schoolers: Shmoop! It provides lessons, background, summaries, and analysis for literature, poetry, history, civics, biography, music, and bestsellers. All of the information is written by the faculty, PhD students, and Masters students at Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford and other universities in an easy to read, conversational tone. In their poetry section, they have a guide to reading poetry, a glossary of poetry terms, and study guides for 77 major poems! Full texts of the poems are also provided. I wish I had known of this resource when we were studying The Rime of the Ancient Mariner last week, and we will definitely use it next week when we study Wordsworth and later this spring when we read Pride and Prejudice.


Almost all of the content is free! Teacher lesson plans can be purchased for $5.99 per lesson, but home educators will find sufficient information and resources without making any purchase.

Check it out:

1 comment:

V Wallace @ SLIS said...

Shmoop = I watched the video and would like time to explore more. I definitely will add a link in my PortaPortal to Shmoop.

Speaking of PortaPortal, my students this semester love the PortaPortal and at least 4 have begun developing their own. I love it!
V.